Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vacation recipes part 1 - Hush Puppies

So my husband and I are on vacation this week and we went to this great restaurant in Baltimore's Inner Harbor called Dick's Last Resort. A great place for apps and drinks. The whole premise of this place is that the waitstaff are boisterous almost obnoxious but that's their shtick. Very different but a fun place non the less. And the place was packed on the outside deck (it was 87 degrees :)

Anyway, we had this great app called "crabby balls". So good and it got me thinking I could totally make these in my Babycake Cakepop maker!!! (Stay tuned!!)
But these reminded me of Hush Puppies - a southern kind of corn bread but with onion and deep fried. So Yummy!! Now to try these two recipes out!! Hush Puppies first.

I found a great baked Hush Puppy recipe from the Deen brothers (Paula Deen's sons). I made one batch which made 24 hush puppies. The first 12 were exactly the way the recipe called for.



Which were great! Not exactly a true hush puppy. But they aren't fried so they wouldn't be the same. But they aren't like corn bread either. I made a honey butter to go along with them and that was a perfect spread for them.
The next 12 I spiced up a bit with Old Bay, paprika, hot sauce, and red pepper flakes. I, as did hubby, liked these better.



The color looks more "fried" but they had a nice kick to them too. For these I made a chipotle dipping sauce which has a kick to it also but has a sour cream base so it's not so spicy. Overall I will be making both of these again. Very tasty. And making them in the Babycakes Cakepop Maker was so super easy!! Love it!!

Follow below for all the recipes.

Baked Hush Puppies from the Deen Boys:
http://pleasepassthepie.blogspot.com/2009/12/hush-puppies-deen-boys-half-baked-idea.html

Babycake Cakepop maker instructions:

What to do:

Spray each well with cooking spray with flour included. Fill each well to rim. Cook about 5 mins turning once.
Take out and enjoy!!

Chipotle dipping sauce:
From Group Recipes.com
http://www.grouprecipes.com/91186/chipotle-dipping-sauce.html

Honey butter:
3 tbs butter softened
1 tbs honey
Mix together - so easy!!

Spicy Hush Puppies: add the following to half of the above recipe. Just double it for the the whole recipe.

What you need:

1 tbsp hot sauce
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp old bay seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes

What you do:

Spray each well with cooking spray with flour included. Fill each well to rim. Cook about 5 mins turning once.
Take out and enjoy!!
Happy snacking!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Cakepop maker

No comments:

Post a Comment